STEVE RIGGS, IAAI-CFI, CFEI, CVFI & CFII Certified State of Oklahoma (Retired)
President, Director – National Fire/Arson Instructor, Expert Witness, Fire/Arson Investigator
Steve Riggs retired after twenty-two years of Law Enforcement, and Fire Service Experience in Oklahoma. Steve has been examining fire scenes for 40 years. Steve holds a Bachelors Degree in Emergency Management, Steve has extensive training in Fire Cause Determination, Criminal Investigation, Arson Investigation, Evidence Processing, Interviewing Techniques, and Case Management. He is a certified Police and Fire Instructor, and a Certified Fire Investigator Instructor. Mr. Riggs has successfully been involved in many Fire/Arson Prosecutions in Oklahoma, and was involved in a Federal Prosecution. To date, he has never lost an arson case. Steve has authored and co-authored several fire training manuals and written “A Critical Analysis of NFPA 921 User’s Manual 2nd Edition. Steve lectures nationally to Local, State, Federal Agencies, Insurance, private, and military Investigators, prosecutors, vehicle manufacture representatives and their engineers. Steve is on the board of directors at National Association of Fire Investigators.
Steve continues to examine fires, and does fire consulting, as well as a subject matter expert for Legal Liability and Risk Management Institute LLC, representing fire and police departments on actions against agencies
STEVE CHASTEEN, AIFireE, CFI, CFEI
National Fire/Arson Investigation Instructor, Expert Witness, Fire/Arson Investigator:
Steve Chasteen has been in the fire service since 1972 serving as a volunteer firefighter and a full-time career firefighter for 27 years at the City of Bloomington, Illinois Fire Department. Steve worked as a municipal fire investigator for the fire department before returning to suppression duties on a ladder company where he retired as a Lieutenant.
Steve has also worked as a private fire investigator in the insurance industry conducting fire investigations for the past 38 years. Steve has conducted more than 3,400 fire scene examinations and fire analysis to determine the origin and cause of the fire. Steve has testified extensively in both State and Federal Court as an expert witness. Steve is recognized as an “Associate at the Institute of Fire Engineers in London, England. He is a “Certified Fire Investigator” recognized by the International Association of Arson Investigators as well as a “Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator” recognized by the National Association of Fire Investigators. Steve also attended the ATF National Academy in Glynco, Ga. Steve remains a member of the MABAS 41 Fire Investigation Team in McLean County, Illinois.
Steve has worked as a “Field Staff Instructor” with the University of Illinois Fire Service Institute in Champaign, Illinois. He has worked as one of the lead instructors in the Fire/Arson Investigation Training Program providing instruction to firefighters, police officers and insurance company representatives. He previously worked as National Instructor with the Public Agency Training Council in Indianapolis, Indiana. Steve has also provided fire investigation training to criminal investigators from various branches of the US Military.
Steve regularly consults with various local and state fire officials as well as law enforcement agencies around the country to provide assistance in fire investigation and fire scene analysis. He has provided expert assistance to prosecutors in criminal cases as well as to the insurance industry and manufacturers in civil cases.
TIM YANDELL, CFEI, CVFI Certified State of Oklahoma (Retired)
National Fire/Arson Investigation Instructor
Tim Yandell, retired in 2004 from Ponca City Fire Department as a Captain in fire suppression and investigations. Tim has been investigating Fire Origin and Cause of Structures, Vehicles, Heavy Equipment and Wildland Fires along with conducting Mechanical Failure Examinations, Evidence Preservation/Collection, as well as, testifying in both Criminal and Civil Litigation for over thirty years. Tim has authored and co-authored four fire training manuals- Vehicle Fire/Arson Investigation, Fire Investigation Based on NFPA® 921 and NFPA® 1033, Writing and Defending Your Expert Report and Fire Death Investigation. Tim lectures nationally to Local, State, Federal Agencies, Insurance, private, and military Investigators, prosecutors, vehicle manufacture representatives and their engineers.
- 2 1/2 Day New Fire Arson Investigation Academy, Based on NFPA 921 & NFPA 1033
- 5 Day New Fire Arson Investigation Academy, Based on NFPA 921 & NFPA 1033
- Fire Arson Death and Fatality Investigation, Based on NFPA 921 & NFPA 1033
- Fire Pattern Recognition and Documentation, Based on NFPA 921 & NFPA 1033
- Phase II Fire/Arson Investigation Based on NFPA 921 & NFPA 1033
- Meeting the NFPA 1033 Fire Investigator 16 Secondary Educational Requirements Certificiation, Based on NFPA 921 & NFPA 1033***
- Practical Aspects of Fire/Arson Scene Search and Evidence Recovery Based on NFPA 1033*
- Hands on Vehicle Fire/Arson Investigation, Based on NFPA 921 & NFPA 1033* **
- Hands on Electrical Fire/Arson Investigation, Based on NFPA 921 & NFPA 1033*
- Practical Aspects of Fire/Arson Investigation and Arson Case Management, Based on NFPA 921 & NFPA 1033*
- NAFI Certification: “CFEI Certified Fire & Explosion Investigator” testing available at each class indicated by one asterisk*
- NAFI Certification: “CVFI Certified Vehicle Fire Investigator Certification**
- NFPA 1033 Certification 16 Secondary Educational Requirements Certification***